MUSIC PRODUCTION & LYRICISM PROGRAM
Our BEAT Explorers program engages students in creative and technical aspects of storytelling through songwriting and original music production. This program is particularly effective for high school students.
Students will learn how to translate their stories into original verse. In each session, they will collectively brainstorm ideas for lyrics based on a theme, then learn how to turn those ideas into their own song verses!
On the production side of songwriting, students will learn the basic percussion sounds of the kick drum, snare drum, and high-hat, and how to build their own rhythms using free music production software. Students will learn how to unleash their creativity through song as they master the technical aspects of music production, while also receiving a professional view of how to build a career in the music industry.
At the end of each session, students share their verses and beats to receive constructive feedback to keep building their songs even after the class is done.
- Participants will improve creative writing
- Participants will build life skills, such as critical thinking, collaboration and leadership
- Participant will cultivate a sense of belonging, wellness and increased engagement in school
- Participants will experience an increase in confidence and inspiration through professional guidance
- Participants will become aware of the importance of safe spaces as a way to initiate hard conversations
- Participants will develop non-violent, creative, peaceful resolutions to conflict
- Participants will learn to use their voices in a safe space and embrace their individuality
- Participants will develop skills necessary to thrive in the professional music production setting
These workshops are responsive to themes and topics that reflect students’ personal experiences and environments. Students not only learn the fundamentals of music composition and songwriting but learn creative, restorative ways to respond to life’s triumphs and challenges.